Monday, August 29, 2022

My Triumph Connectivity Review



This is an update on the My Triumph Connectivity section of my original review of the Triumph Trident 660 motorcycle. 

Here's my setup:

  • Triumph Trident 660 with My Triumph Connectivity module (dealer install)
  • Sena SMH10D-10 Motorcycle Bluetooth Headset/Intercom headset mounted on a white SHOEI RF-1200 helmet
  • iPhone 13 with latest iOS version and My Triumph app
  • iPhone is paired to both Sena headset and Trident

Issues I highlighted in previous review:

  • Frequent (once a week) disconnection to whatever I was listening
  • Navigation (setup via My Triumph app on iPhone) frequently gets stuck
  • Volume controls on bike don't work (others do: next/forward, track info, play/pause)
  • Not an operational issue, but unit cost $250-ish + dealer install of $300 = $550 is a bit high. 
Here's the solution I figured out:
  • Disconnects: Don't pair the phone to both Sena headset and bike. Here's the recommended pairing
    • Pair the phone to just the bike; do not pair/connect it to the Sena headset (remove/unpair the headset from Settings > Bluetooth)
    • The bike is paired to both the iPhone and Sena headset; it serves as the "hub"
    • Note: once your bike is on/ignition (engine does not have to be on) and headset is on... it takes about 5 seconds for them to all find/connect to each other. 
  • Navigation: 
    • Set the My Triumph app to have "Always On" location access, instead of only when using the app. 
    • Bad part of this is that the app has location access even when you're not using the app. (iPhone > Settings > Privacy > Location Services > My Triumph). Obviously this is bad for privacy and potentially drains the battery, and the iPhone will warn you about it. 
    • UPDATE: this seems to have been fixed so you can use "While Using" only. 
  • Volume control from bike is still a problem. It works from my Sena headset but only upto the max setting of the phone... so I have to remember to crank it up before starting the ride. iPhone somehow does not seem to use a Bluetooth device specific volume for the bike/Sena. 

No comments: